Cultivating courageous leadership to transform education.
We believe in the transformative power of education to create a more just society. With a deep commitment to equity, community, and impact, our nationwide network of diverse leaders drives lasting change in public education.
Highly-skilled general managers are needed to manage complex systems-level change in education outside of the classroom. Education Pioneers fills this need for the sector by finding and developing strategic leaders to disrupt the status quo.
Transforming education is possible, but requires sustained effort and collaboration. We develop courageous, committed leaders who build bridges in polarized landscapes, lead inclusively, and amplify solutions for long-term change.
Inequity in education is often perpetuated by a lack of representation in PreK-12 leadership. We recruit diverse leaders who represent the students and families we serve and work in partnership with communities towards tangible outcomes and shared goals.
Our Model & Approach
Our Fellowships match emerging leaders to high-impact projects, building needed organizational capacity for education organizations while supporting Fellows on their path to systems-level general management roles. We provide Fellows with critical leadership development programming and connect them to a network of leaders across the sector, building a pipeline of changemakers outside of the classroom.
We attract high-potential leaders from various sectors, and support their transition to impactful careers in public education through short or long-term Fellowships in leading education organizations.
We lead structured learning opportunities for our Fellows, building the long-term skills, mindsets, and orientations needed in effective educational leadership.
Our cohort-based approach cultivates meaningful relationships among like-minded leaders. This supportive community enables effective collaboration, shared learning, and collective action.
History & Growth
- 2003: Scott Morgan, a former teacher and a Stanford Law School graduate, founds Education Pioneers (EP) with a bold vision to transform the education sector with top leadership and management talent.
- 2004: EP’s first Fellowship cohort, comprised of nine Fellows, launches in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- 2005: EP expands to the East Coast, hosting a Fellowship cohort in Boston.
- 2009: EP establishes a presence in Chicago, our Midwest hub.
- 2012: EP receives over 10k applications for our programs in four years (2008-2012).
- 2013: EP turns 10 and hosts an anniversary summit that convenes more than 400 Fellows, Alumni, Partners, and supporters.
- 2015: EP evolves its Graduate School Fellowship and Analyst Fellowship programs into a single Education Pioneers Fellowship—with summer and career tracks—to meet organizations’ and candidates’ needs.
- 2017: EP’s Alumni network exceeds 3,500.
- 2018: Founder Scott Morgan transitions the role of CEO to Melissa Wu. EP celebrates its 15th anniversary and surpasses 4,000 leaders in its Alumni network.
- 2018-2020: EP scales back programmatic operations in response to a financial crisis, downsizing from 400+ Fellows to 50 Fellows.
- 2021-2022: After the COVID-19 pandemic hits, EP pauses all regional programs, launching two national responsive Fellowship programs to navigate the internal and global crisis period. EP’s new COVID Relief and COVID Recovery Fellowships bring critical capacity to the front lines of PreK-12 amid pandemic-related challenges.
- 2023: EP applies lessons learned to rebuild with improved quality and efficiency, relaunching regional programming in the Bay Area, Washington, D.C., Chicago, and Dallas / Houston with plans to rescale to 10+ primary regions to sustainably operate with a long-term Alumni focus.
Where We Work
Education Pioneers is a national organization with regional programs connecting a vast community of mission-aligned leaders. With 4,600+ Fellows and Alumni in 12+ regions, our diverse network collaborates with local organizations, communities, and one another to build a more just education system.
MISSION FIRST, HUMAN ALWAYS
We aspire to build a culture rooted in trust, empathy, and a deep commitment to inclusion. We strive to be adaptable and collaborative, because we believe that our diverse perspectives make us stronger. We’re impact-focused, united by our belief that an equitable education system is not only possible, it’s imperative.
The Latest From EP
Join Our Team
Join our dynamic team dedicated to creating a more just education system. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply, recognizing the immense value and strength that unique perspectives bring to our work.
Get the latest updates from EP.